Melanoma Focus Achievements
Melanoma Focus is the UK’s leading national charity for melanoma, commissioning and funding innovative research into the treatment and causes of melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer, while providing support and information for patients, carers and healthcare professionals.
Melanoma is the 5th most common cancer in the UK and its incidence is increasing.
In the past decade melanoma rose by 67% in females and 51% in males (Cancer Research UK). There are more than 15,000 cases each year in the UK and it is the most common form of cancer amongst young adults.
What does Melanoma Focus do?
- Commissions and funds new melanoma research projects through its Patient Impact Programme, including scientific research and patient-related studies
- Runs the Melanoma Helpline to support anyone in the UK with questions or concerns about melanoma
- Provides accessible information about melanoma to the public, especially patients and carers
- Works with NHS Trusts to gather data about melanoma cases to form a National Melanoma Database
- Hosts the main UK ‘Focus on Melanoma‘ Meeting each year as well as the highly regarded Regional Meeting series
- Initiates and takes part in UK-wide campaigns and information programmes
Every penny raised on behalf of Melanoma Focus helps in the fight against melanoma.
Melanoma Focus had a great team at The Woburn Abbey Triathlon last year who took part, and also helped to support and cheer participants round the course over the weekend.